Skip to main content

The runners of the 47.2 km ultratrail and the 21.8 km trail will also find this year in the race pack a Chianti Classico DOCG wine from Castello di Gabbiano.

The Castello di Gabbiano Chianti Classico DOCG of 2020 is a refined and well-balanced wine, mainly made from Sangiovese grapes (90%), with a touch of Merlot (5%) and native red berry varieties (5%). The vintage was characterized by a particular attention to the position and exposure of the vineyards, which contributed to producing elegant and fresh grapes, with a variable tannic density among the different plots. High-quality grapes were found with an excellent character and pleasant spiciness, accompanied by good minerality. However, the quantity produced was limited.

Vinification took place in temperature-controlled tanks, with natural malolactic fermentation in steel and cement tanks. After one year from the harvest, the wine was bottled and matured for about 10 months in French oak barrels of various capacities, preferably medium to large ones. 60% of the wine matured in these barrels, while the remaining 40% aged in third and fourth passage barriques, along with some in steel tanks. This combination of woods allowed the wine to maintain and harmonize the most natural characteristics of Sangiovese, such as fruitiness, freshness, and tannicity.

The wine presents itself with a bright and clear ruby red color, with floral aromas of wild violet, fruity notes of sour cherry jam, and spicy hints of black pepper and sweet spices, integrated with subtle woody undertones. On the palate, it is dry, soft, and full-bodied, with well-integrated tannins and balanced freshness, with excellent aromatic persistence.

As for pairings, it is recommended to serve this wine at a temperature of 18°C, accompanying it with flavorful first courses, mushroom risottos, spiced red meat dishes, Tuscan pork roast, stewed wild mushroom fricassee, truffle-infused or moderately aged hard cheeses.

The alcohol content is 13.5% vol, confirming an overall balance and harmonious structure in the wine.